It seems that with each new day, a new person is coming forward with allegations of sexual assault. As with anything that another person does, people that know nothing about the situation will chime in. I am no different. I like to throw my two cents into the pile when I can. I’ve been wanting to comment on this situation for a while, but I’ve been waiting to see what happened with the story first.
There is no surprise that a lot of these stories have been stemming from Hollywood. There have been stories of this nature for years, but nobody ever took them seriously. Corey Feldman was even laughed at when he brought it up a long time ago. Just because the source isn’t an A-list celebrity, doesn’t mean it isn’t true. In the land of make-believe and sexy actresses, is this really a surprise? There have always been jokes about people sleeping their way into roles and jokes usually start with some truth.
As long as there are men in a position of power, there will be those types of men that will use that power to get their way with women. Remember, not every man in this position will act this way but the 5% that do make the other 95% look bad. You can’t really blame the men for doing it. I mean, you can and you should, but can you say that if Kate Beckinsale was on a couch in your office you wouldn’t try something or at least hit on her? You shouldn’t, know that. Things should always be professional in a work environment. If you want to hit on a girl, do it in a bar like a normal person.
One of the things that people like to argue about online is the length of time it has been since these incidents happened and the time that they are finally reported. The big reason is that in the past, nobody would believe the girl or guy without proof. If it was a guy doing the reporting then they were held to a double standard. If I were to complain that I was sexually assaulted by Kate Beckinsale, I would have been laughed at 10 years ago. Today, there would still be those that would laugh at me but there would also be those that took me seriously. It is hard to blame these women for waiting so long to say anything. Would you say anything if everybody was just going to ignore you and blackball you from the industry?
I’m not sure if we don’t trust these women because they are women and we think should be in the kitchen making a sandwich or because we don’t want to believe something like this would ever happen. We should take something someone says at full value until there is evidence to prove otherwise. Yes, there are those that will say something to get their name back into the headlines and get their 15 minutes. Those bitches are just trying to cash in on the pain of the women that actually had to endure the acts. There are also people like the lady that accused the late Patrick Swayze of sexually harassing her. It is easy to blame someone that is dead and can’t defend themselves against the accusations. She may be telling the truth, but we will never know.
All of this has created the #metoo movement. This allowed women to go onto social media and tell about the times that they have experienced sexual assault and let others know that they are not alone.
The one thing that is certain is that we are at the end of 2017 and we still treat women like 4th class citizens. After all these decades of trying to prove themselves as equals, we still don’t treat them as such. Hopefully, one of these days, we will realize how much better things will be when we treat each other as equals and with respect. Until then, if the guys would just keep it in their pants and stop slapping women’s asses like they are pieces of meat that would be great.